Monday, January 21, 2008

I'll Never Catch the Dragon!!

I hope that everyone had an excellent holiday season! This year, my son got 2 versions of Guitar Hero for Christmas this year: II, and II, the 80's edition. I have referred to it before as a 'guys version of DDR,' and I will stand by it. This, of course, isn't intended as meaning that only females play DDR and males play Guitar Hero. I had heard of it and seen the game played. I laughed so hard at the South Park episode that parodied the game, as well as the father getting hooked on it, too. I have heard that if you don't really know much about playing guitar that you may be good at it, and I have messed up on songs that I know, not always hitting the right part on the beat where I think it will be.
The first night we played, it wasn't long, but when I went to sleep and close my eyes, I saw notes coming at me like I was still playing the game. There is something kind of funny and almost disturbing watching your 8 year-old son playing Van Halen, or your 10 year-old daughter playing Nirvana. Anyway, we played on Easy Mode for a good bit, on and off, until a week ago Friday. My 13 year old nephew came down for the evening, and we played on Easy Mode. My son got very tickled playing "Psychobilly Freakout" by Reverend Horton Heat. Of all the sentences ever uttered in the English language, I never thought that I would put my son in the same sentence as Reverend Horton Heat. We got to the last 'tour stop' on the game, which you have to beat all 4 songs. Since we took turns, it was up to me on the 4th song. It was around midnight, and I thought my eyes were bleeding. Somehow, though, I made it through, and there was a letter at the end saying that we unlocked the 'fish' guitar.
We decided to play the 80's edition this past weekend, and my eyes didn't bleed this time. We beat the Easy mode (just the kids and me), and we then went to 'Medium Mode,' which isn't to be confused with 'Mean, Median and Mode.' I haven't been hitting the high 90% accuracy like the easier level. A few times, I have been hoping for the song to quickly end so I won't see "FAILED" come up to booing fans, as well as booing children. I just tried 'Seventeen' by Winger, and I have a little more respect for Kip. I was given the double 'boos,' and a "Thanks" from my supportive son. I also find my forearm needing a rest after making through. After playing the game, though, I definitely need something to 'take the edge off,' and I don't mean the guitarist for U2. Any suggestions? Please comment, and thanks for reading!

No comments: